Sep 18, 2020

Great Blue Heron



Finishing up a walk at dusk on Monday, Linda & I spotted three otters joyfully feeding in the Mill Pond above the Brassworks dam. After watching them for a while, I hurried home and came back with a camera, but alas the otters had finished their dinner and were nowhere to be seen. Looking around, though, I spotted a young Great Blue Heron searching for food himself, and I took pictures until it got too dark to continue. He didn't seem to be having as much luck finding food as the otters had.

The following week I spotted an older heron walking along the far riverbank outside my apartment. The location and his slow pace allowed me to get some nice, sharp images with the AT-65Q scope. Pictures here. The white top of his head and plumes hanging off his chest and back mark him (or her) as a breeding adult, in contrast to the younger bird above.